ORFEUS - Next Steps
Abandon CTD as oldest and obsolete message format
- CTD format is the oldes used message format and it does not allow to transmit all information from the CIM consignmnent resp. CUV wagon note.
- Therefore the members agreed to migrate to newer message format, at least to ECTD message and flow (if not directly to ECN/PCN flow, see below).
- Most of the members migrated already, just few are pending and should migrate in early 2017.
ECN / PCN Implementations
- The PCN and ECN message flows are realised in the ORFEUS application already. Both flows use the ECN message format (just with another functional role).
- Some ORFEUS member railway undertakings move(d) from the CTD or ECTD flows to:
- either the PCN flow, where data along with paper transport documents still,
- or directly the ECN flow for transports, which can go paperless.
- The ECN format and flow is used between DBCDE and SNCF Fret already for bilateral transports.They run paperless also transports from France transit via Germany and vice versa, with print of consignment orders before leave of the "ECN area" (it means mixed ECN and PCN scenario).
- TI worked together with SNCF and sucessfully introduced ECN flow for bilateral conventional traffic already, production for inter-modal transports is postponed due to some technical issues.
- CDC and DBCDE are in production since Noveber 2016 using the PCN flow and did successfull test for transports with ECN flow.
- First paperless transports were transports went from France (SNCF) via Germany (DBCDE) to Czechia (CDC).
- Depending on the realisation stage at member railway undertakings, ORFEUS will support introduction of paperless traffic across Europe.
Other Railway Undertakings are going to join ORFEUS in near future:
- HZ Cargo (Croatia) are also a member of the ORFEUS assembly and receive messages from ORFEUS for test purposes already. They intend to join ORFEUS soon.
- RCA and DBCDE intend to migrate bilteral exchange of CIM/CUV data to ORFEUS during 2017.
- Doughters of DB Cargo outside Germany are being connected to ORFEUS through system of DBCDE, the intention is to cover all DBC subsidiaries.
- Several subsidiaries of other former national railways will also start use ORFEUS too.
To cover the new business requirements ORFEUS allows railways to send and receive messages for their subsidiaries even if the sending railways are not involved in the transports. This will not inflict ORFEUS only since these messages are also useful to enrich ISR with transport data for these traffics.
Extending the service towards CIM/SMGS
CIM/SMGS ECN message is currently in preparation in cooperation with the Organization for Co-operation of Railways (OSShD) and several SMGS Railways. Target of this activity is to achieve a higher interoperability with messages already used by the shareholders of RAILDATA and the new CIM/SMGS ECN message.
RAILDATA participates on the work of dedicated working group UIC/OSShD. There are two options for the message format (IFTMIN in EDIFACT and ECN-based XMLmessage). However the message data content needs be specified first. RAILDATA did the comparison of all elements from both transport documents already.
TAF Consignment Order for Subcontracting RU
- The current RU-RU oriented TAF data exchange for the "Consignment Order Message" is based on the ORFEUS ECN-xml message. Raildata will offer to generate and handle TAF messages for its partners.
- A new flow and a subset type of ECN message is going to be developed to meet the new requirement, a flow for "Subcontracting". It will have to be guaranteed that is possible to provide a carrier with limited information to the transport, depending on its role.
- This message is determined to serve in both ways, as a the "Consignment Order Message" within the framework of TAF-TSI and as a subcontracting message within the commercial scenario between RUs integrated in the ECN/PCN-scenario.
With the development of the consignment order message by RAILDATA the communication between railway undertakings (RU) within the frame of the TAF TSI is based on the ECN message now. Railways may take advantage of already existing structures and messages in order to roll out TAF TSI.
Attached electronic documents
Latest development in ORFEUS allows to attach documents electronically to the ORFEUS message. Attachments are coded into a character string and decrypted at the receiver's side to pdf-format. Additional a mailing & web download process ensures the interoperability with older message versions. This new feature is implemented in the ECN message version 1.42.
The message flow does not include the relation Consignor to Carrier. To facilitate the placement of an order a consistent customer subset can be created.
Raildata participates on the telematics working group of UNECE. The goal is the development of a paper independent transport of dangerous goods.